03 August 2007

My family was not on that bridge

By now, you have probably seen images of that horrific bridge collapse here in Minnesota. I have heard from many folks who wonder if my family and I are OK. I am fine as is the family.

I pretty much sat in front of the TV all evening Wednesday. I didn't have nightmares, but did wake up with very sore hands -- must have been clenching them. I was on the bridge last week and also on the River Parkway that runs underneath part of the collapse -- it is just 4.5 miles from my current apartment. I do love that area and driving along the road under the bridge was a relaxing drive.

Last week I almost bought a condo that overlooked this area of the river on the south side of the bridge. It was in the Riverview Towers -- it is the high-rise that stands by itself at the south side of the bridge and has been on CNN over and over. There have been interviews with residents. I am now very glad I decided against it -- I loved that condo for the river view -- I am sure that would not be so special now.

I heard immediately from my oldest son (his daughter Kaylene, age 13, was with me) and from my sister who said all her family are just fine. My daughter Katie tried to call me for over an hour -- the phone lines were all busy. Granddaughter Kaylene says she won't go on a bridge over the Mississippi ever again. I did get her home today via one way that honors that. We will have to deal with it in time.

Unfortunately, there's going to be more of the sad news as they get to the submerged cars.

1 comment:

Steve Danko said...

Hi Paula,

I'm glad to hear that you and your family are OK after the bridge tragedy.

I'm also glad to see that you've started a blog. Welcome to the genealogical blogging community!

I won't be able to attend the FGS conference in Fort Wayne, but I look forward to the chance to meet you in person at some event in the future!

Steve Danko