31 December 2007

Christmas 2007 Redux

Regular readers probably noticed that recent postings are few and far between. I took some time off from blogging for both myself and the 2008 Federation of Genealogical Societies’ Philadelphia conference blog. It was a family Christmas. As of today I have been a part of seven family celebrations with one yet to come in Salt Lake City with a very special family of mine. Not every family was at the same place at one time. There are grandchildren who are still firm believers in Santa Claus. My parents are still with us and I know I am quite lucky to be able to say that given my own age.

This Christmas season was so much fun. One evening I had all four of my Minnesota grandchildren staying overnight. Added to that were two others who call me Grandma. 6 kids in one house and assorted adults, too. Pure exhaustion and exhilaration. We played "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader" several times. Our family did great on the math and literature questions, but not on science. We all laughed so hard. Earlier, I promised to tell you what genealogical gift I gave them for presents. It turned out to be family togetherness, retelling stories, recalling memories, and fun with the younger generation. And a special day with my daughter as we did day-after-Christmas bargain shopping. A long day just to ourselves. We both deserved that.

1 comment:

Randy Seaver said...

Hi Paula,

I coined a word for what you described - exhilaraustion. We experience it everytime we have the grandkids here.

Your game with the kids sounds great - our little ones aren't ready for that yet (being 4, 3 and 2) but in years to come I'm sure we'll play "Are You Smarter Than..." many times. I look forward to it!

Have a good trip to SLC and I look forward to more blogp osts in 2008 from you.

Take care -- Randy Seaver