09 September 2009

Where have I been?

I just returned from a week in Little Rock, Arkansas. It was a great week at the Federation of Genealogical Societies annual conference. Talk about wonderful! FGS and the Arkansas Genealogical Society did a bang-up job. I had the best room monitors I have ever experienced as a speaker.

It takes a lot of volunteer power to put on such events. This year's folks made it a smooth event. I tip my baseball cap to Jan Davenport and Suzanne Jackson and their crew. I also have to rave about the Night at the Ballpark where we watched the Arkansas Travelers beat their in-state rival, the Northwest Arkansas Naturals, 9-3. Members of the FGS Board of Directors were everywhere, too. Everyone made it a great week.

Every session was full of folks talking. They did stop for the presentations to begin but the discussions taking place among the audiences really hit me as the best in genealogy networking. I think a lot of new friendships were made at this conference.

I have been doing the National Publicity for this conference for the past 18 months and doing the Conference News Blog for the past year. I am retiring from this volunteer work for the next conference to catch up on my own family and business. I may even be able to concentrate on my own blog more! BUT you must still add the next FGS conference to your calendar. Knoxville, Tennessee, August 18-21. The local hosts are the East Tennessee Historical Society and the Kentucky Historcal Society. Those folks are already working hard to bring you another great week of education, networking, and fun. See you in Knoxville!

Watch the FGS website over the next 11 months for evolving details. www.fgs.org

No comments: