31 May 2010

Memorial Day 2010

I have failed in the education of at least one of my grandchildren. As my daughter and granddaughter were driving by a cemetery the five year old was amazed to see cars there. She told my daughter that she didn't know you could visit in a graveyard. Yep, she used the term graveyard. My daughter is sure that word came from watching Scooby Doo!

I know I have taken her brothers to cemeteries, especially the oldest one who thought that the phrase "buried" in a cemetery was actually "married" in a cemetery. He was only about 4 at the time. The oldest granddaughter has been to cemeteries with me.


I am thankful for all those women and men who have served in the military whether in the U.S. or other countries. My husband served during the Vietnam era, my father and father-in-law served in WWII, uncles served in WWI, Great Great Grandfather William Slaker served in the Civil War, and a Great Granduncle served in the Civil and Spanish American wars and then was called to service again in World War I. They all returned home to their families. My maternal aunt lost her first husband during the Korean War.

My children and grandchildren also have paternal ancestors who served in the Revolutionary and Civil wars. I have not told my grandchildren nearly enough about these folks and their military service. It's time they understood what their forebears did that made our freedom possible today. I think it is time to educate my grandchildren about Memorial Day. This posting is just the beginning.

No comments: