18 December 2012

Wisconsin pronunciation guide is great for genealogy!

I was at a Christmas party this evening and had a fun time. Then I came back to my apartment and have been having fun on my computer. The Wisconsin State Cartographer's Office has an online pronunciation guide to places all around the state. Not a written guide, but an audio presentation.

I do stumble over some of the names of Wisconsin places where my ancestors resided.

Pronounce these names and then see if you got them right by clicking here. Click on the arrow on the map and then jump around to see a variety of places. Then use the search box near the upper right corner to do more specific searches.
  • Berlin
  • New Berlin
  • Buena Vista
  • Oconomowoc
  • Peebles
  • Stoughton

I would give you more places to check but I need to go back to my own evening entertainment. Hmmm, how is Hurricane or maybe Louis Corners pronounced?

No comments: