28 November 2010

Genealogists, who are you!

It's the time of year when genealogists salivate about all the relatives they see on the various holidays. I thought about something this morning and realized I am guilty of neglecting someone very important. That would be me. Will my descendants know about my first bike, the places I lived, my elementary and high schools that no longer exist, the various jobs I have held, my first boyfriend, my fear of water, Christmas in my youth, my wedding, the time I loved spending with my grandparents and great grandparents, the teachers I had, and so many other things?

Oh how I wish those grandparents and I had talked about family history. Would I have listened? Why don't I talk more about the past with my own grandchildren?

I now have a file (on my computer that is labeled "Paula Stuart Warren Her Story." The format is an expanded timeline. I list things by year (approximate year) in some cases and then have a few brief words about an event or other item. Eventually I will pull out the old photos and use them to expand on it. A few entries will be expanded to tell more of the story. I have worked on this timeline on and off today. It it addictive.

My challenge to you is to begin such a timeline as a Christmas gift to yourself and to future generations. Once you start, it will be difficult to stop adding to it.

3 comments:

Elizabeth O'Neal said...

That's a wonderful reminder, Paula. I've been trying to do this, but have seriously neglected the project. I hope to do some updating over the holidays.

my Heritage Happens said...

I have been thinking along the same lines! I have not done a timeline though and really don't have it all on the computer yet. I love your idea of a timeline, and can picture it being addicting! Thank you!

Greta Koehl said...

Ah, you're right. I've been writing up individual memories, but a timeline would provide the framework for tying them all together. Thanks for the idea!